Women in Secularism 2
We find ourselves at a crossroads.
Around the world, the forces of religion and superstition are reasserting themselves, working to contain and even reverse the progress made in the cause of women’s basic human rights.
And within the freethought movement, nonbelievers and skeptics are passionately debating the role of social justice, particularly in regard to gender equality and incidences of hostility toward women.
Which is the best path forward? How can we best advance both women’s rights and secularism? How do we set priorities? What changes can be made to the secular movement to ensure true gender equality?
A powerful roster of speakers and panelists will tackle these questions and much more at the second Women in Secularism conference, presented by the Center for Inquiry.
- Lauren Becker: educator, organizer, director of marketing & promotions, Center for Inquiry
- Ophelia Benson: author, editor, commentator, Butterflies & Wheels
- Jamila Bey: author, editor, journalist, AAH advisor
- Soraya Chemaly: writer, activist
- Greta Christina: writer, blogger, Greta Christina’s Blog
- R. Elisabeth Cornwell: evolutionary psychologist, executive director of Richard Dawkins Foundation for Reason and Science US
- Vyckie Garrison: creator of No Longer Quivering
- Debbie Goddard: activist, organizer, director, CFI Outreach and African Americans for Humanism
- Jennifer Michael Hecht: teacher, poet, author of Doubt: A History
- Adriana Heguy: biologist, co-founder, atheistuniverse.net
- Melody Hensley: executive director of CFI–Washington DC, organizer, Women in Secularism
- Susan Jacoby: journalist, author of Freethinkers: A History of American Secularism
- Teresa MacBain: executive director, Humanists of Florida
- Amanda Marcotte: author, journalist, executive editor, Pandagon
- Maryam Namazie: activist, blogger, Nothing is Sacred
- Katha Pollitt: essayist, critic, poet
- Carrie Poppy: animal rights activist, podcast co-host, Oh No, Ross and Carrie!
- Edwina Rogers: executive director of the Secular Coalition for America
- Amy Davis Roth: artist, blogger, skepchick.org
- Desiree Schell: activist, podcast host, Skeptically Speaking
- Shelley Segal: singer, songwriter
- Rebecca Watson: cohost of Skeptics’ Guide to the Universe, creator of skepchick.org
- Stephanie Zvan: blogger, Almost Diamonds, radio host, Atheists Talk
For more information, visit http://www.womeninsecularism.org/.